Sunday, September 13, 2009

Double Trouble Made My Days so Frustrating

On Thursday afternoon, Jason, my eldest son, was playing here on the computer. He downloaded a game from the internet a few days ago. While he was playing the game he downloaded, there was a pop-up window saying that the memory was so slow. He thought that the game he downloaded has a big space to the memory. So, he deleted the game and he turned off the computer. I was in the shower at that time. When I came back here in my room, Jason was not here and the computer was off. So I turned it on again. When it opened it, it kept on asking me to pres “CTRL+ALT+DEL” to start the computer. I did it 10 times I think but still the same. So, I went outside and I looked for Jason. I asked Jason what happened to the computer. He said, he deleted the game he downloaded because there was a pop-up saying that the computer memory was slow. I was mad at him because he maybe deleted other files.

So on that day, my son sent the computer to the technician. It was around 2:00 in the afternoon when he left here from the house. He got home around 8:00 in the evening without the CPU. I asked what happened to the CPU. He said when he got there, only the owner of the shop was there. He explained to the owner everything about what happened to the computer. The owner checked the computer and found out that a virus attacked my computer and it needs to be reformatted again. So the owner started to clean, removed the viruses, and reformats the program again but when he was in the middle of working on the computer, the technician came. He then asked the technician to do the work but he didn’t give instructions on what to do with the computer. My son saw that there was another man working on the CPU so my son asked if he was a technician there and he said yes. So my son left just to roam around the place and will come back if it is done already. When he came back to the store, the technician was not yet finished. My son asked him why it is so long while he will only do half of the job because the owner started it already. The technician was surprised when Jason told him that. He then asked his boss if he started already reformatting the CPU. The boss said yes and he just needs to continue the work. The technician checked now the memory and he found out that it was full now. So, there’s no way for Jason to bring back the CPU at home that night because it was already 7:00 o’clock in the evening and the store will close at 8:30. The technician asked Jason to come back the next day for he can’t finish it that night because he needs to start it all over again after deleting all the programs. So there’s a lot of work to do. The next day, that was Friday, Jason went back to the store after lunch. The CPU was finished already and I also called the store to check if all files were still there including pictures and he said yes.

When Jason got home, he connected back all the connections etc and he opened the computer. All the files were intact including pictures. But when he tried to connect it to the internet, there was no connection. He kept on trying but to no avail. Saturday afternoon, I went to my ISP office and they said that the system was down because of the storm in Visayas and Luzon. So until now I am still waiting that the connection will be back and normal again.